Blogs and Blogging (Internet)
- A Farewell to Feministing and the Heyday of Feminist BloggingAnother site is about to close, joining other publications like The Hairpin and The Toast that are dead or dying, as their “rowdy” voices go mainstream.
- Josie Rubio, 42, Dies; Wrote of Dating While Terminally IllHer essay in The New York Times drew a wide readership; she also chronicled her life with terminal cancer in a blog, finding humor amid despair.
- Deadspin’s Last Staff Member Quits. But Deadspin Is Not Dead, the Boss Says.The site’s editorial team, more than 20 journalists, resigned after an instance of what they saw as meddling by G/O Media.
- ‘An Exorcism Must Be Done’: An Anti-Putin Shaman Sets Off UnrestWith discontent growing in Russia, a mystic, helped by a video-blogging cabby, set off unheard-of protests in one of Siberia’s biggest cities.
- Would You Write a Cookbook for Next to Nothing?A crop of publishers offers would-be authors very low or no advances, and may ask them to forgo royalties or sign nondisclosure agreements.
- Justice Department Newsletter Included Extremist Blog PostA national union for the judges said the blog post “directly attacks sitting immigration judges with racial and ethnically tinged slurs.”
- What’s Next for Tumblr?Tumblr has a new owner who wants it to remain a happy home for weirdos.
- How Do We Say ‘Have a Good Night’? Let Us Count the WaysOur Evening Briefing writer tailors each of her signoffs to a lighthearted news item of the day.
- Deb Perelman’s Work Diary: The ‘Smitten Kitchen’ Is Open (Even When the Cook Is Sick)The cooking-site founder still does almost everything herself — from groceries to dishes to Instagram.
- What the Influencer Couple Has to Say About That Viral Proposal SchemeGenuine or not? You decide. Either way, it was an engagement, and marketing plan, made for Instagram.