Blogs and Blogging (Internet)
- After Quitting Deadspin in Protest, They’re Starting a New SiteThe journalists who took part in a staff rebellion last year are starting Defector Media, a company with a podcast and a website dedicated to sports and culture.
- Newspaper’s Top Editor Is Now a ‘Homeless’ BloggerA 54-year-old journalist lost his job running an Indiana newspaper, as well as the apartment that went with it. He moved to a Motel 6.
- Mel Baggs, Blogger on Autism and Disability, Dies at 39Candid blog posts and a widely viewed short film sought to expand the very definition of what it means to be human.
- I Do Things Differently From My Wife. And That’s OK.How she folds laundry bugs me, and how I bag groceries galls her — but we don’t fight about it anymore.
- Putin’s Long War Against American ScienceA decade of health disinformation promoted by President Vladimir Putin of Russia has sown wide confusion, hurt major institutions and encouraged the spread of deadly illnesses.
- Yet Another Vermont Police Chief Quits Over Fake Social Media AccountsTwo Burlington police chiefs who created fake social media accounts to attack critics resigned within months of each other.
- How to Build a Media CompanyTake it from Jasmine Brand, who started the celebrity news site The Jasmine Brand 10 years ago, and is still going strong.
- Lina Ben Mhenni, 36, ‘a Tunisian Girl’ Who Confronted Regime, DiesMs. Ben Mhenni used her blog to expose violence against protesters in the revolt that led to the government’s overthrow, and then to the Arab Spring.
- A Farewell to Feministing and the Heyday of Feminist BloggingAnother site is about to close, joining other publications like The Hairpin and The Toast that are dead or dying, as their “rowdy” voices go mainstream.
- Josie Rubio, 42, Dies; Wrote of Dating While Terminally IllHer essay in The New York Times drew a wide readership; she also chronicled her life with terminal cancer in a blog, finding humor amid despair.