Blogs and Blogging (Internet)
- Yet Another Vermont Police Chief Quits Over Fake Social Media AccountsTwo Burlington police chiefs who created fake social media accounts to attack critics resigned within months of each other.
- How to Build a Media CompanyTake it from Jasmine Brand, who started the celebrity news site The Jasmine Brand 10 years ago, and is still going strong.
- Lina Ben Mhenni, 36, ‘a Tunisian Girl’ Who Confronted Regime, DiesMs. Ben Mhenni used her blog to expose violence against protesters in the revolt that led to the government’s overthrow, and then to the Arab Spring.
- A Farewell to Feministing and the Heyday of Feminist BloggingAnother site is about to close, joining other publications like The Hairpin and The Toast that are dead or dying, as their “rowdy” voices go mainstream.
- Josie Rubio, 42, Dies; Wrote of Dating While Terminally IllHer essay in The New York Times drew a wide readership; she also chronicled her life with terminal cancer in a blog, finding humor amid despair.
- Deadspin’s Last Staff Member Quits. But Deadspin Is Not Dead, the Boss Says.The site’s editorial team, more than 20 journalists, resigned after an instance of what they saw as meddling by G/O Media.
- ‘An Exorcism Must Be Done’: An Anti-Putin Shaman Sets Off UnrestWith discontent growing in Russia, a mystic, helped by a video-blogging cabby, set off unheard-of protests in one of Siberia’s biggest cities.
- Would You Write a Cookbook for Next to Nothing?A crop of publishers offers would-be authors very low or no advances, and may ask them to forgo royalties or sign nondisclosure agreements.
- Justice Department Newsletter Included Extremist Blog PostA national union for the judges said the blog post “directly attacks sitting immigration judges with racial and ethnically tinged slurs.”
- What’s Next for Tumblr?Tumblr has a new owner who wants it to remain a happy home for weirdos.